Liz and Me

Liz and Me
Liz and Me

Friday, January 21, 2011

God's looking after me!

Psalm 5:11
But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
Like most riders, I have fallen off my horse many times. Some times I break bones other times I just bruise my ego, but the other day I had the fall of all falls. It was so huge I don't even remember it. My day went something like this...
I pull into the farm on a last minute decision to go trail riding on my mare Liz. I'm surprised to see my dad still there feeding the heifers. I tell him my plans and ask if anyones deer hunting where I'm going to be riding. He tells me no and to have fun and that he'll probably be leaving in an hour or so.
I move out to the barn where the horses are eagerly waiting to be let in so that they can get their feed. After they are all settled in I grab my grooming tote and my tack and head for Liz. I got her black coat really slick and shiny so she would look great in our new Christmas present which was a gorgeous blue striped quarter sheet with her name embroidered on it. After I have her all tacked up and groomed we are ready to roll!
It's a little cold and windy today. This is making Liz a little frisky so I was trotting and cantering more to settle her down. We were having a great time just the two of us and the last thing I remember was turning down a trail that I don't travel very often.
The next thing I remember is being woken up from my dream state by my dad. He helps me in the truck and ask me stupid questions like when is my birthday and what my name is. I feel nauseous and accidentally make a mess in the truck cab. The next few hours are a blurr. I'm so tired I'm drifting in and out of sleep, but I know my night involved a lot of poking and prodding and MRI's.
The next few days I'm still a little fuzzy but finally understanding what happened to me. According to the tracks in the trail, I came upon a muddy spot and Liz skidded and lost her balance and we both came down! This gave me a concussion and scared Liz that she ran back to the barn by herself. My first question to dad was, "You didn't hurt her or sell her did you?"
I'm happy to say that now we are both doing fine! And I'll be able to ride again in a few more days! (Even though I've had to miss a few fox hunts in between.) The situation could have gone a lot differently. My dad could have not been at the farm when Liz came back by herself. I could have fallen off differently and broken something. A numerous other things could have gone wrong. I'm just so thankful that God was protecting Liz and me that cold, muddy afternoon. I'm joyful and will rejoice over His protection over me!

No comments:

Post a Comment